Job Opportunities at EdSource
EdSource is seeking an experienced Development Manager to support the Executive Director with the growth and development of the organization’s fundraising goals.
Founded in 1977, EdSource is a nonprofit, non partisan organization focusing on key education challenges in California. Its journalism and communications arm “EdSource Today” (www.edsource.org) produces daily content to key influencers, policy makers and education leaders, many of whom say it has become a “must-read” to stay abreast of education in the state. EdSource’s engaged Board of Directors includes leaders from a range of key constituencies, including public education, media and business.
The Development Manager will assist with major fundraising, stewardship, and cultivation efforts; expanding and diversifying EdSource’s funding base, particularly with regard to individual and corporate support. The Development Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, who has extensive experience in fundraising and expects to continue his high degree of participation.
This position is based in Oakland, CA.
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director and Development Communication Manager to write, edit and submit timely grant requests and reports.
- Manage the current foundation grant portfolio, staying on top of all deadlines and tracking deliverables.
- Identify and build a portfolio of new corporate and foundation prospects, developing and implementing plans for cultivation and solicitation.
- Research fundraising best practices and develop new ideas and opportunities to engage with potential donors and stakeholders.
- Develop content and language for collateral materials for donation appeals and giving campaigns.
- Ensure that the donor database information is current and accurate.
- Experience writing or contributing to grant proposals, interim and year-end reports.
- Three to five years fundraising with at least two years of significant experience with major gift level donors preferred.
- Experience in online and corporate sponsorship fundraising is desirable.
- Skilled in working with grant budgets, using Excel, QuickBooks or other accounting software used for financial management.
- Strong working knowledge of donor database management systems.
- Polished oral, written, telephone, and e-mail communication skills; ability to interact with a variety of constituencies, including Board members, donors and staff.
- Proficient in developing direct target email campaigns and use of Constant Contact or other email publishing programs.
- Familiarity with education philanthropy and education issues is preferred but not required; a passion for education is essential.
- Highly motivated self-starter, with proven ability to develop creative solutions.
- Occasional travel for EdSource conference and for funder meetings may be requested.
The salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive health, dental and vision; paid time off of 15 days per year, in addition to 11 paid holidays annually.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter (required) describing your experience, its relevance to this position, and reasons for your interest in EdSource by October 15, 2017. Also include as a separate document the names and contact information of three professional references.
Please address materials to Lanita Pace-Hinton, Deputy Director and send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the email subject line “Development Manager”.
After an initial review of application materials, selected applicants will be asked to share samples of LOIs, proposals, etc., in addition to meeting for a personal interview.