Job Opportunities at EdSource
EdSource is a highly-regarded independent, nonprofit organization founded in 1977 providing up to date information and policy analysis on education reform in California. We have the largest team of state-based education reporters in the nation.
We are seeking an experienced business manager with HR experience to fill this position, which is based in Oakland. We envision this position as a three-fifth to three-quarters time position with benefits.
The Business Manager will be responsible for the financial aspects of the organization. He or she will also refine and enhance current operational systems with the intent to maximize efficiency and effectiveness throughout the organization, while ensuring all activities are mission and culturally aligned, vision focused, and metric driven.
- With the executive director, develop the yearly budget.
- Manage the budget, reviewing monthly and quarterly reports, flagging any under or overspending to the executive director.
- Take corrective action as needed to ensure a stable budget outcome.
- Work closely with outside accountant as needed.
- Oversee the yearly audit.
- Serve as part of the management/leadership team.
- With the executive director develop defined goals and timelines for the organization consistent with the organization’s budget and deliverables.
- Track organizational deliverables due to foundations and other organizations.
- Implement, manage and track all contracts and deliverables with outside vendors to ensure compliance and desired outcome.
- Provide monthly updates to the executive director.
- Provide support and staffing for the EdSource Board’s Finance Committee.
- Oversee payroll management.
- Monitor employee benefits and ensure that all benefits including the 403(b) and health savings account are properly administered.
- Negotiate most favorable arrangements with benefit providers as necessary.
- Ensure that performance reviews are completed in a timely manner and that all employee personnel files are current.
- Other HR duties as needed and appropriate.
- Oversee facilities operations and maintenance.
- Ensure that the internal operations of the organization run smoothly and that processes are put in place to deliver performance and achieve goals.
Fundraising and Reporting
- Provide budgets for foundation proposals, and budgets as needed for grant reports.
- Assist in report development as needed.
- Serve as interface with foundation personnel as needed.
- Proven experience as business manager or relevant role, with a minimum of 5 years of experience. Preference is for experience with 501(c) 3 organizations.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Thorough understanding of diverse business processes and strategy development.
- Understand financial reports and accounting processes.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, Excel, databases and information systems.
- HR experience including running payroll and managing employee benefits.
Benefits and Compensation
The available salary range is commensurate with experience. EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Business Manager” in the subject line.
EdSource is seeking a visionary and dynamic editor to guide reporters in bringing stories about the nation’s largest and most diverse public education system to life.
The editor will provide day-to-day leadership marshalling the resources and accumulated talent of the largest education reporting team in California to heighten the impact of its reporting and to deliver the maximum public service.
Founded in 1977, EdSource is a highly-respected independent, nonprofit organization with the largest team of state-based education reporters in the nation. Our principal focus is on California, within the context of education reform and innovation nationally
We are looking for a candidate with a deep passion for education. In-depth knowledge of the key issues and debates in education at a state and national level is a plus.
The successful candidate will have experience:
- Guiding writers in developing stories that focus around a compelling issue or question that drives the narrative forward.
- Coaching writers in applying their topic expertise to produce authoritative stories that deepens public knowledge of the debates, decision-making and policies affecting the daily lives of children, their parents and teachers.
- Steering writers to ensure they fairly explore all angles of a story, consider the best lengths, formats and writing styles that will engage multiple audiences.
The exact responsibilities will be shaped by the experience and background the successful applicant brings to the position, but will generally include:
- Developing coverage priorities with the Executive Director, Senior Editor and other staff as appropriate.
- Attending weekly editorial meetings and encouraging discussions about how to interpret issues and present story ideas.
- Assigning articles and setting deadlines for staff writers, correspondents, freelancers and other writers.
- Providing perspective, context and advice on story structure to ensure accurate, thought-provoking and fair journalism.
- Editing daily, weekly and in-depth stories on key education issues in the state.
- Working with the web developer, data, and graphic design staff to develop interactive visual components of stories; and on ways of packaging stories on the web.
- Coordinating with the social media manager on promoting stories, and expanding the reach of EdSource’s editorial content.
- Working with the Executive Director and assigned staff to seek and secure opportunities with other outlets for publication of EdSource Today articles.
- Elevating the profile of EdSource by participating as speaker, moderator or panel member at various education meetings and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Stellar news sense and top-notch project management capabilities.
- Expertise in story shaping, line editing, and copy editing.
- Excellent headline writing a plus.
- Experience and commitment to using data to increase the impact of a story.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication and collaboration skills are a must.
- An understanding of the key role of social platforms.
- And an appreciation of the key role of nonprofit journalism in responding to the transformative changes in the communications landscape.
Benefits and Compensation:
EdSource prides itself on paying competitive salaries. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists in one of the great regions of the world, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume, four examples of the best work you either assigned, produced or edited, links to your social media accounts, and the names and contact information of three professional references to: email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line.
Education Reporter/Senior Reporter
EdSource is a highly-regarded independent, nonprofit organization with the largest team of state-based education reporters in the nation. Our principal focus is on California, within the context of education reform and innovation nationally. Within the nonprofit journalism sector, EdSource is one of the most established and respected organizations, with a long track record of accomplishment in the field.
We are seeking creative and resourceful reporters with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling articles about the latest developments in education at both a preK-12 and postsecondary levels. We are especially interested in reporting as it relates to teacher shortages, preparation and retention; math and science education; and college affordability.
The position provides an unusual opportunity to break from the treadmill of daily reporting, and write on the most significant changes occurring in public education in California in a generation, at a time of a major shifts in education policy nationally.
The reporter will join an influential organization recognized as the authoritative source of reporting in a state with the largest system of public education in the nation. Articles are published through our daily email newsletter, as well as by partner news organizations.
The position will be based either in Oakland or Los Angeles.
- At least 5 years of professional media experience, preferably working with a daily journalism publication;
- The ability to write cleanly, report aggressively and place issues within a larger context;
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats;
- Intellectual curiosity that allows the reporter to connect the dots, and go behind breaking news developments;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks;
- Background in education reporting and children’s issues preferred;
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as part of a team
- Personable and above average ability to work collaboratively.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including enterprise, investigative and breaking news stories;
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience;
- Contribute to new media strategies in response to ongoing changes in the communications landscape.
- Audio and podcasting experience.
- Photography and video;
- Data reporting
EdSource prides itself on paying competitive salaries. Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists in one of the great regions of the world, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume names and contact information for three references, links to your social media accounts and links to four to six examples of your written/digital work, or attachments, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line.
Social Media and Audience Growth Manager
EdSource is looking for a smart and energetic Social Media and Audience Growth Manager to execute outreach strategies to attract new readers, subscribers and followers.
Founded in 1977, EdSource is a highly-respected independent, nonprofit media organization with the largest team of state-based education reporters in the nation. Our principal focus is on California, within the context of education reform and innovation nationally
The Social Media and Audience Growth Manager will collaborate with other members of the digital team to implement initiatives to target new audiences, and systematically track, measure and report on readership growth and engagement.
- Conceive and execute innovative social marketing plans to reach and engage readers with editorial projects.
- Plan and execute daily social media promotion, using insight to target and engage specific audiences based on article topics; plan and provide coverage of live events.
- Cultivate connections with key education leaders, media influencers and publishing partners to cross-promote editorial, data and visual content.
- Contribute to conceptualizing and designing visual assets for social posts, to include graphics, photos, videos and animated GIFs.
- Delve deeply into EdSource’s web and social analytics to create regular performance reports, that include lessons learned, as well as analysis of competitor data.
- Candidates with 4-5 years of experience highly desired.
- Keen ability to interpret data and signals to know what stories/content are the right fit for audiences of particular platforms.
- A deep understanding of search engine, social media and social marketing optimization.
- Proficient in use of tools such as Google Analytics, Chartbeat and Parse.ly.
- Experienced with AdWords, familiarity with WordPress, basic HTML, CSS and/or JS is a plus.
- If you have managed email campaigns this will put you at the top of the list!
Equal Opportunity Employer: EdSource Inc., is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive workforce that reflects our audience and expands our voice. Its diverse staff of reporters, editors and digital talent comprise the largest editorial team on the West Coast specializing in education coverage.
Benefits and Compensation: EdSource prides itself on paying competitive salaries and offers a comprehensive benefits package.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, links to your social media accounts, and the names and contact information of three professional references to: email@example.com. Include job title in subject line.