Job Opportunities at EdSource
EdSource Today, California’s pre-eminent source of news and analysis about public education, is seeking a fulltime reporter to cover some of the major reforms being implemented in the state and nation.
Ideally, the candidate is a creative and resourceful writer with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling articles that enrapt readers and reveals why things are as they are, why they work or don’t work.
Optimally, the candidate will have:
- At least 5 years of professional media experience, preferably working with daily
- The ability to write cleanly, report aggressively and grasp the larger context of issues
- Proven experience in tackling long-form stories
This position provides an opportunity to report and write on potentially the most significant
changes occurring in public education in a generation. The reporter will become part of a small,
but influential media and research organization recognized as the authoritative source on
developments effecting California’s public education system. EdSource is considered a “must-
read” by policymakers, influencers and a broader audience interested in independent, unbiased
reporting across the full spectrum of education issues from pre-K to college.
Qualifications sought include:
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats
- Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks
- Able to deliver high-quality, accurate copy on deadline
- Background in education reporting, children’s issues or public policy preferred but is not an absolute requirement
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as part of a team
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including news, analysis and enterprise stories for EdSource Today and for wider distribution EdSource’s media partners
- Participate in reporting projects encompassing the entire EdSource Today team
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience
- Radio and podcasting experience or a desire to learn, including recording live interviews, gathering ambient sound and script writing
- Photography, social videos
In addition to a competitive salary (range $68,000 to $78,000 dependent on experience) and the opportunity to do meaningful, challenging work, EdSource provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year.
Send a resume, cover letter, names and contact information of three professional references, links to your social media accounts and links (or attachments) to 4-6 examples of your written/digital work to Lanita Pace-Hinton, deputy director, at: email@example.com. Please include job title, Education Writer, in subject line.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.