Job Opportunities at EdSource
Education Reporter/Senior Reporter
EdSource is a highly-regarded independent, nonprofit organization with the largest team of state-based education reporters in the nation. Our principal focus is on California, within the context of education reform and innovation nationally. Within the nonprofit journalism sector, EdSource is one of the most established and respected organizations, with a long track record of accomplishment in the field.
We are seeking creative and resourceful reporters with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling articles about the latest developments in education at both a preK-12 and postsecondary levels. We are especially interested in reporting as it relates to teacher shortages, preparation and retention; math and science education; and college affordability.
The position provides an unusual opportunity to break from the treadmill of daily reporting, and write on the most significant changes occurring in public education in California in a generation, at a time of a major shifts in education policy nationally.
The reporter will join an influential organization recognized as the authoritative source of reporting in a state with the largest system of public education in the nation. Articles are published through our daily email newsletter, as well as by partner news organizations.
The position will be based either in Oakland or Los Angeles.
- At least 5 years of professional media experience, preferably working with a daily journalism publication;
- The ability to write cleanly, report aggressively and place issues within a larger context;
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats;
- Intellectual curiosity that allows the reporter to connect the dots, and go behind breaking news developments;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks;
- Background in education reporting and children’s issues preferred;
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as part of a team
- Personable and above average ability to work collaboratively.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including enterprise, investigative and breaking news stories;
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience;
- Contribute to new media strategies in response to ongoing changes in the communications landscape.
- Audio and podcasting experience.
- Photography and video;
- Data reporting
EdSource prides itself on paying competitive salaries. Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists in one of the great regions of the world, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume names and contact information for three references, links to your social media accounts and links to four to six examples of your written/digital work, or attachments, to lpace [at] edsource.org. Please address the cover letter to Lanita Pace-Hinton, EdSource’s deputy director.