Job Opportunities at EdSource
Student Journalism Corps Coordinator/Editor
Founded in 1977, EdSource is a highly respected independent, nonprofit organization with a long track record of reporting on important education issues. It is recognized as one of the most authoritative sources of education reporting in California, the state with the nation’s largest system of public education. While its principal focus is on California, EdSource covers issues within a national context.
EdSource is seeking to hire a coordinator/editor to oversee a network of college journalism students that would bolster the organization’s coverage of post-secondary education in California.
The successful applicant will help develop and grow the network of stringers throughout the state, solicit and edit student commentaries on higher education for publication by EdSource, and also assist with organizing webinars on higher education topics being reported on by EdSource.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to develop an exciting new collaboration between California’s most trusted and respected education journalism organization and emerging journalists at the state’s public colleges and universities. Our goal is to build a network of college stringers in California who could inform our reporting.
- At least 7 years of professional media experience;
- Excellent editing skills;
- Work experience or knowledge of higher education preferred;
- Experience working with student journalists preferred;
- Creative self-starter who will help develop new ways of reporting on issues in education, including through multimedia digital formats;
- Background in education reporting and children’s issues a plus;
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as a commitment to working collaboratively.
- Other duties as assigned to support the program’s growth.
Position can be based in Oakland or Los Angeles.
Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists and communications specialists, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and sick leave, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references, links to your social media accounts and links to, or attachments of, four to six examples of your written/digital work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.