Jobs Opportunities at EdSource
EdSource is seeking a highly organized part-time accountant for 15-20 hours per week. This position works closely with the Executive Director. The accountant will work off-site but meet regularly with EdSource management staff to review and discuss financial activity.
EdSource is a nonprofit education policy research and media organization that provides impartial news, briefs, webinars and an annual symposium to advance awareness and promote thoughtful decisions about improvements in California’s public schools. It is California’s pre-eminent source of news and analysis about K-12 public education, and considered a “must-read” by policymakers, influencers and a larger public interested in staying abreast of education in the state.
EdSource has a budget of more than $2 million a year from more than 10 funding sources. We are seeking an experienced accountant to provide the services described below, and work closely with the organization in developing internal systems to allow for a clear understanding of the flow of grant funds, some of which start and end at different times in the fiscal year. Additional oversight as to spending patterns is also welcomed. For the past 5 years, the organization has used QuickBooks Pro.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Record expenses by program/fund source in QuickBooks Pro data file
- Confirm transaction classifications with the office manager and/or deputy director
- Review bank, credit cards and investment account statements and reconciliations; prepare related journal entries
- Prepare monthly closing expense detail report, financial statements including balance sheet and accumulated general ledger reports
- Prepare quarterly financial reports for Executive Director; assist in monthly financial reviews, analysis of trends and variances, keep account of cash position, irregularities and/or cost saving possibilities
- Prepare financial data and reports for analysis by Board of Directors
- Assist with preparing budgets and financial reports to funders, outside CPA firms and auditors as necessary
- Oversee filing of tax forms including 1099s
- Assist in the development and implementation of systems and procedures that increase efficiencies
Qualifications sought include:
- Excellent knowledge of QuickBooks Pro, Microsoft Excel and accounting practices
- Very detailed oriented, extremely organized, a self-starter and a problem-solver
- Strong time management skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Minimum of five years of continuous accounting/or high level bookkeeping experience
- Experience working with non-profits highly desired
- Associates or Bachelors degree with major coursework in accounting OR an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties listed above
Salary commensurate with experience.
Send a resume, cover letter, salary history and the names and contact information of three professional references to Lanita Pace-Hinton, deputy director, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include job title, Accountant in the subject line.