California is set to launch the nation’s largest college savings program, CalKids, later this year, opening college accounts for all newborns in the state and low-income students in first through 12th grade.
Long before California’s college savings account program, an Oakland woman “adopted” her own class of first graders and promised to pay for their college educations if they graduated from high school. What did she learn? And what can California learn from her?
- Carolyn Jones, Senior Reporter, EdSource
- Oral Lee Brown, Founder and President, Oral Lee Brown Foundation
- Nekita Noel-Ikulala, Former student sponsored by Ms. Brown
- Jeffery Toney, Former student sponsored by Ms. Brown
- Daishar Young, Former student sponsored by Ms. Brown
Read more EdSource articles on this topic: