Eyes on the Early Years
Early childhood education is an important focus of EdSource’s work. We explore the challenges facing California’s youngest learners — and those responsible for educating them.
Subscribe to this monthly newsletter in which we share new reports and highlight important research and stories about children from infancy to age eight.
Please send questions, comments and suggestions to Zaidee Stavely, early education reporter, email@example.com.
The newsletter is underwritten by the Heising-Simons Foundation.
Previous Issues of Newsletter
- August 2019: What to watch in early education
- Newsom’s early ed proposals face revision in Legislature
- Are teachers setting goals for students’ social and emotional growth?
- Childcare: How can it cost so much and pay teachers so little?
- California’s low-income children are entering kindergarten already at a disadvantage
- Playground innovator asks, “Look around at recess: Who is being left out?”
- What do the CA candidates for governor have to say about early ed?
- What does it take to do Social-Emotional Learning right?
- Despite Trump opposition, Congress approves historic increases in early education funding
- CA needs to build an early learning system that works, say researchers
- Can we be confident in the benefits of early ed?
- How are children from immigrant families faring in the U.S.?
- Is teaching social and emotional learning in preschool worth the effort?
- Who benefits most from high-quality early ed?
- What’s next for Head Start?
- Parents say kindness more important than academics
- Social-emotional learning: Not just for preschoolers anymore
- What caused the gains in kindergarten readiness?
- Where early education is being done right
- Can early ed programs do more to help dual language learners?
- Preschool for all: The debate continues but is it productive?
- Putting a number on the benefits of preschool
- What works–and what doesn’t–in parent education?
- It’s not your imagination: Kindergarten has gotten tougher
- Low wages the “major challenge” for early ed teachers
- Expulsion of preschoolers: “Let’s take that option off the table”
- Absentee kindergartners focus of new report
- Toddler vocab predicts kindergarten success
- Reading aloud to build literacy
- Gains for early Ed in state budget