2014 EdSource Symposium
2014 EdSource Symposium in partnership with the California State PTA
The New Accountability:
Testing Students and Evaluating Schools in the Age of the Common Core
California’s K-12 public education system is undergoing unprecedented shifts to adopt the Common Core State Standards, the new Smarter Balanced student tests and the new accountability measures driven by the Local Control Funding Formula.
The 2014 EdSource Symposium, held in Los Angeles on May 7, 2014, brought together some of the most highly regarded public education thought leaders in the field along with district-level leaders such as superintendents, teachers, school principals and parents for a vibrant discussion about how California’s public school system is implementing these momentous changes. Scroll down to view video or download the speakers’ presentation slides.
Program and Speakers:
TRANSFORMING PUBLIC EDUCATION IN CALIFORNIA: WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO REFORM THE SYSTEM?
- Michael Fullan – Worldwide Authority on Education System Change, Professor Emeritus of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto
NEW TESTS, NEW GOALS: ACHIEVING COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS IN CALIFORNIA
How different are the new student assessments compared to our current testing methods and what impact can we expect them to have on student performance and teaching?
- David Conley – Professor, University of Oregon; CEO, Educational Policy Improvement Center; President, EdImagine Strategy Group
- Linda Darling-Hammond – Charles Ducommun Professor of Education, Stanford University; Faculty Director, Stanford Center for Opportunity Policy in Education; Chair, California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
ARE WE READY? SMARTER BALANCED TESTING: A REPORT FROM THE FIELD
What are we learning from the Common Core rollout and Smarter Balanced field tests at the school and classroom levels and what are the emerging challenges?
- Sandra Sanchez Thorstenson – Whittier Union High School District, Superintendent; President, Superintendency Council, Association of California School Administrators
- Kevin Maddox – Principal, Jefferson Leadership Academies, Long Beach Unified School District
- Monica Curiel – Teacher, Certificated Learning and Achievement Specialist (CLAS), Santa Ana Unified School District
- Michelle Parker – California State PTA, V.P. Communications, San Francisco
- Robin Avelar La Salle – CEO, Principal’s Exchange
- Steve Thornton – President, California Educational Technology Professionals Association (CETPA); Director of Technology for the Menifee Union School District
(Download Steve Thornton’s slide presentation here)
MOVING BEYOND THE API: THE CHALLENGE OF EVALUATING SCHOOLS USING MULTIPLE MEASURES
How will the Common Core, new performance assessments and the Local Control Funding Formula’s eight goals change how California measures school and district performance?
- Linda Darling-Hammond – Charles Ducommun Professor of Education, Stanford University
- Michael Fullan – Worldwide Authority on Education System Change
- David Conley – College and Career Readiness and Student Testing expert
- Ruth Pérez – Superintendent, Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District
- David Rattray – Senior Vice President, Education and Workforce Development, Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce, President, UNITE-LA
- Rick Miller – Superintendent, Santa Ana Unified School District
EdSource thanks our generous sponsors for their support of this event, including:
- The Stuart Foundation
- School Services of California
- Fagen, Friedman and Fulfrost, LLP
- The College Board
- Supporting Partner: Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
The 2014 EdSource Symposium was held in Los Angeles on May 7th. Check back for updates on next year’s event!
Interested in becoming a Symposium sponsor? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.