Scroll down to view the many guidance documents issued by the California Dept. of Public Health (CDPH), the California Dept. of Education (CDE), county offices of education and other agencies and organizations — and find the one that best meets your needs.
We will continue to update this page. If you have guidance for a district or county not included below, or other documents you think we should list in this place, please be sure to email us.
- Blueprint for a Safer Economy (August 31). Find out how your county is rated, which will affect if and when schools can open for in-person instruction.
- CDPH Explanation of Blueprint (August 28). A detailed explanation of the new color-coded four tier framework.
- CDPH Guidance for Colleges and Universities (August 7).
- CDPH Guidance for Schools and School-Based Programs (August 3).
- CDPH Q&A on Guidance for Schools (Aug. 3)
- CDE Stronger Together: A Guidebook for the Safe Reopening of California’s Public Schools (July 6).
- Navigating the Uncertainty of Reopening Schools: A Guide for Parents, Family and the Public (August).
- California School Nurses Organization: Health Recovery Resource Guide (Aug. 8)
- California School Boards Association: The Uncertain Road Ahead
- CCSESA (County Superintendents) Reopening Guide (June 2)
- ACSA (School Administrators) School Reopening Report (May 28)
County offices of education:
- Alameda County: School Reopening Plans (Updated Aug. 6)
- Alpine County: Letter from Superintendent Matthew Strahl (Issued Aug. 5)
- Amador County: Update from Superintendent Dr. Amy Slavensky (Issued July 30)
- Board Approved Options to Start the 2020-2021 School Year (Issued July 30)
- Butte County: Joint Press Release with Butte County Public Health Department (Issued July 23)
- Calaveras County: Fall 2020 Plan (Issued July 23)
- Contra Costa County: Roadmap to Reopening Schools (Updated July 30)
- Del Norte County: Coronavirus Updates (Updated July 20)
- El Dorado County Office of Education: Addressing the Challenges of COVID-19 (Issued July 28)
- Fresno County: Reopening Schools, Planning Assumptions & Considerations (Updated June 30)
- Humboldt County: The Road Ahead Reopening Framework (Updated June 23)
- Imperial County: Pathway to Reopening Our Schools Covid-19 Recovery Guidance (Updated Aug. 3)
- Kern County: Thinking Guide for Reopening Schools (Updated June 18)
- Kern Schools Reopening FAQs (Issued Aug. 3)
- Lake County: Return to School Continuum Plan (Updated July 17)
- Los Angeles County Schools: Rising to the Challenge of Covid-19 (Updated August 3)
- Marin County: A Public Health Guided Return to Site-Based Classroom Instruction in the Age of Covid-19 (Updated Aug. 4)
- Mariposa County: Letter from Superintendent Jeff Aranguena (Issued July 29)
- Mendocino County: Phased Reopening for Schools (Updated July 20)
- Merced County: Academic Planning Guide for 2020-21
- Monterey County: Fall Reopening Plans (Issued July 17)
- Napa County: Considerations for Reopening Schools (Updated July 13)
- Nevada County: A Public Health Guided Return to Site-Based Classroom Instruction (Issued July 14)
- Orange County: A Guide to Safely Reopening Schools in the Covid-19 Era (Updated Aug. 7)
- Placer County: Crisis Response (Updated July 17)
- Plumas County: Message Regarding Distance Learning, Learning Hubs and Independent Study (Issued Aug. 4)
- Riverside County: A Planning Guidebook for the Safe Opening of Schools (Issued June 2020)
- Sacramento School Year Planning: A Guide to Address the Challenges of COVID-19 (Issued June 2)
- San Benito County: Reopening of San Benito County K-12 Schools for the 2020-21 School Year (Issued July 30)
- San Bernardino County: COVID-19 Response Guidance for K-12 Schools (Issued August 2020)
- San Diego County: Covid-19 Recovery and Reopening Plan (Updated Aug. 7)
- San Francisco County: Fall 2020 Learning Plan (Issued July 28)
- San Joaquin County: A Guide to Address the Challenges of Covid-19 (Issued June 17)
- San Mateo County: Pandemic Recovery Framework (Updated Aug. 5)
- Santa Barbara County: Reopening Santa Barbara Schools (Issued Aug. 5)
- Santa Clara County: Stronger Together (Issued June 3)
- Santa Cruz County: Distance Learning Only for K-12 Schools for 2020-2021 School Year, County Guidance (Issued July 20)
- Shasta County: A Guide to Address the Challenges of Covid-19 (Updated Aug. 3)
- Sierra County: School Opening Plans in Response to COVID-19
- Solano County: Covid-19 School Reopening Consideration (Updated July 7)
- Sonoma County: Roadmap to a Safe Reopening (Issued June 12)
- Statement in Response to New State Directives for Schools (Issued July 17)
- Stanislaus County: A Guide to Address the Challenges of Covid-19 (Issued June 5)
- Coronavirus and School Guidance Updates (Updated July 28)
- Sutter County: Phases to Open School (Issued Aug. 5)
- Ventura County: Framework for Reopening Ventura County Schools (Updated July 10)
- Yolo County: Planning Recommendations for 2020-21 School Year (Issued June 25)
- Update on Fall Reopening Plans (Issued July 23)
- Yuba County: School Reopening Plan
Guidance from national organizations:
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates: Recommendations on Students with Disabilities and School Reopenings (July 9).
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Guidance for School Re-entry (June).
- North American Association for Environmental Education: Re-opening Safely Using Outdoor Spaces (June).
To get more reports like this one, click here to sign up for EdSource’s no-cost daily email on latest developments in education.