The Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) has spawned an array of resources to help parents, teachers, principals, school board members and district officials make sense of the new law.
The material ranges from basic explainers to cloud-based software that helps districts craft their draft Local Control Accountability Plans.
Below is a list of resources compiled by EdSource reporters.
Do you know of a resource that should be on this list? Let EdSource know at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “LCFF resources.”
Primers (LCFF basics and links to more resources)
- California County Superintendents Educational Services Association manual providing guidance to superintendents of county offices of education on the LCAP approval process
- Basic LCFF and LCAP information from the California PTA
- An LCFF Toolkit from the California School Boards Association
- Tool for calculating district supplemental/concentration dollars by Fair Share 4 Kids, Education Trust-West
- Overview of the Local Control Funding Formula from the non-partisan Legislative Analyst’s Office
- EdSource’s Local Control Funding Formula Guide
- EdSource’s FAQ about the new funding formula (in English)
- EdSource’s FAQ about the new funding formula (in Spanish)
Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) how-tos and checklist
- Guide from WestEd, a San Francisco-based nonprofit education research and development agency, on developing the LCAP
Resources for engaging parents
- Advocates’ guide to the LCFF public engagement process by the ACLU of Southern California and Public Advocates
- Best practices in implementing the LCFF by a coalition of non-profit advocacy and civil rights groups
School Facilities and the LCFF
Thanks for reading.
Can you help sustain our reporting?
Our team of journalists, editors, and fact-checkers do an estimated 440 hours of research every week to bring you the news on California education. That's a lot of work.
For a limited time, your contributions will be doubled through the NewsMatch matching gifts program.