EdSource Today, the largest education reporting team in California, is seeking a highly talented and creative reporter to deliver powerful stories that initiate public discussion and promote accountability regarding major education reforms now being implemented in the state and nation.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to write and report on the potentially most significant changes occurring in public education in a generation, and to be part of the emerging nonprofit journalism sector that is incubating innovative reporting and revenue models for 21st Century journalism.
The reporter selected for this position will be part of a growing team developing new ways to reach Californians on the multiple challenges affecting public education. The reporter will help EdSource extend its reach to audiences who are both currently engaged in California’s education ecosystem as well as the general public.
We are looking for a writer with a flair for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling prose. She or he will have a particular knack for uncovering the human-impact angle that immediately captures the attention of key education decision makers and the general public and makes the story worth reading.
Launched in 2012, EdSource Today has emerged as a prominent multi-media content provider in the nonprofit journalism sector, and is viewed as a daily “must read” by a wide range of audiences, including education leaders and policy makers at the highest levels of state government.
The successful candidate is a creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats. Qualifications sought include:
- Outstanding writing skills, with substantial experience in daily journalism.
- Eagerness to work as part of a growing team in a creative nonprofit journalism environment to build a unique service focused exclusively on education.
- Demonstrated track record using social media.
- Background in education reporting and children’s issues preferable but not required.
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as working as part of a team.
- Multimedia skills, including data visualization skills, and data analysis and computer-assisted reporting skills are a plus.
- Ability to deliver high-quality, well written, and accurate copy on deadline.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including news, enterprise, analysis and investigative stories for EdSource Today and for wider distribution to other news outlets;
- Participate in reporting projects encompassing the entire EdSource Today team;
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience.
A competitive salary will be paid commensurate with experience. Ideally, the reporter will be based in Oakland, although we may consider basing a reporter in other regions of the state.
EdSource Today is the journalism arm of EdSource, a 37-year-old nonprofit, non-partisan education and research organization whose mission is to inform and engage policymakers and the public on key education challenges, with the goal of improving learning outcomes for all students. Over many decades, EdSource has developed a statewide reputation for providing impartial and objective information and reporting presented in powerful and compelling ways. EdSource is headed by veteran journalist Louis Freedberg.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and four clips or other examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write Education Reporter in the subject line. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.