Jobs Opportunities at EdSource
We are looking for a skilled editor with the temperament to coax great work out of a reporting staff.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the editor will help lead our coverage of important public education issues in California. The successful candidate will help writers deliver deeper storytelling, strengthen their beats, and make extensive use of our broad range of digital tools. The editor will help promote EdSource Today as a voice of authority to established audiences and as an essential resource for engaging and explaining major education reforms now being implemented in the state and nation to new audiences.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to grow as a leader and manager and who wants to shape the coverage of an organization that boasts the state’s largest roster of education journalists and is developing new ways to report on major reforms currently underway in California schools.
The ideal candidate will have previous management experience and is practiced with the new techniques in storytelling – data journalism, digital and multimedia storytelling, and social media.
This is a part time or full time position based in Oakland. EdSource Today is the journalism and communications arm of EdSource, a nonprofit nonpartisan organization founded in 1977 to engage Californians on key education issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing priorities for coverage with the Executive Director, Senior Editor and other staff as appropriate.
- Working with the Executive Director and Senior Editor assign articles and set deadlines for staff writers, correspondents, freelancers and other writers.
- Providing guidance on story content and structure to staff writers, correspondents and freelancers.
- Editing daily, weekly and in-depth stories on key education issues in the state, ensuring a high level of engaging, accurate, thought-provoking and fair journalism.
- Developing and maintaining a wide range of contacts and commentary contributors from policy-makers, education leaders, teachers, parents and advocacy groups to ensure the widest range of information and perspectives as possible.
- Working with the web manager to develop graphics and interactive components of stories; also developing creative ways to present stories and information in multi-media formats.
- Working closely with the social media manager in maintaining and expanding EdSource’s social media presence, utilizing tools such as Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook.
- Attending weekly editorial meetings and encouraging discussions about how to interpret issues and present story ideas.
- Working with Executive Director and assigned staff to seek and secure opportunities with other outlets for publication of EdSource Today articles.
- Elevating the profile of EdSource Today by participating as moderator or panel member at various education summits, meetings and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Stellar news sense, top-notch project management capabilities, and polished editing and writing skills are important for the Editor role.
- Knowledge of or background in K-12 education in California a major plus.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, collaboration and planning skills are a must.
- Knowledge and ability to upload content to a WordPress website, as well as familiarity of industry standard editing and design software is vital.
- An understanding of the key role of social platforms to enhance EdSource’s online presence and expand its social media reach.
- Extensive experience in a nimble, fast-paced magazine, newspaper or online publishing environment is prerequisite.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Public Policy or a related discipline.
Please submit a cover letter indicating which position you are applying for, a resume, contact information for three references, and four clips or other examples of your work to email@example.com. Please write Editor in the subject line. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Director of Development
EdSource is seeking an experienced Director of Development to manage and expand its current philanthropic funding base.
Founded in 1977, EdSource is a nonprofit, nonpartisan media and research organization focusing on key education challenges in California. Its journalism and communications arm “EdSource Today” produces daily content to key influencers, policy makers and education leaders, many of whom say it has become a “must-read” to stay abreast of education in the state. EdSource’s engaged board of directors includes leaders from a range of key constituencies, including public education, media and business.
EdSource is seeking a Director of Development to lead its fundraising work, expand and manage its base of foundation support, and diversify EdSource’s funding base, particularly increasing individual and corporate supporters. The Director of Development will work closely with the organization’s Executive Director, who has extensive experience in fundraising and expects to continue his high degree of participation. The new Director will benefit from a Board of Directors willing to help. This position is based in Oakland, CA.
- With the Executive Director, secure support from a range of sources.
- Manage the current foundation grant portfolio, staying on top of all deadlines and producing deliverables to include:
- With Executive Director, meet with foundations upon grant renewal time
- Write new proposals
- Assist in crafting grant budgets
- Write grant reports, which involves regular tracking of EdSource products and results
- Identify and successfully pursue new foundation prospects, both locally and nationally; keep abreast of funding trends.
- Diversify EdSource’s funding base by expanding its support from corporate and other institutional sources; identify and research prospects; engage board and other contacts; prepare materials.
- Diversify EdSource’s funding base by expanding its support from individuals, both small online donors and major donors; identify and research prospects; engage board and other contacts; plan events and/or use existing events for this purpose; prepare materials.
- Make presentations to the Board of Directors on fundraising progress.
- Significant and demonstrated experience in raising funds from foundations is required.
- Experience in major gifts, online fundraising and corporate sponsorship fundraising is highly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills are absolutely required.
- Experience in working deeply with grant budgets is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with education philanthropy and education issues is preferred but not required; a passion for education is essential.
- Skilled in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and development database systems is expected.
- Strategic thinking, detail orientation, and presentation skills in person and on paper are required.
- Occasional travel (estimated five out-of-town trips per year) for EdSource annual symposium and for funder meetings will be requested.
The salary is competitive based on experience. Benefits include comprehensive health, dental and vision; paid time off of 15 days per year, in addition to 11 paid holidays annually.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter (required) describing your experience, its relevance to this position, and reasons for your interest in EdSource by August 10, 2015. Please address materials to Cherilyn Parsons, Development Recruitment Consultant, and send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
After an initial review of materials, selected applicants will be asked to share samples of LOIs, proposals, etc., in addition to meeting for a personal interview in Oakland. References also will be required.
Math and Science Reporter
EdSource Today, the largest education reporting team in California, is seeking a reporter with a background or strong interest in math and/or science. The reporter’s focus will be on implementation of major reforms in California schools, including the Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to write and report on potentially the most significant changes occurring in public education in a generation, and to be part of the emerging nonprofit journalism sector that is incubating innovative reporting and revenue models for 21st Century journalism.
The reporter selected for this position will be part of a growing team developing new ways to reach Californians on the multiple challenges affecting public education. The reporter will help EdSource extend its reach to audiences that are both currently engaged in California’s education ecosystem as well as the general public.
We are looking for a writer who has the ability to translate the latest developments in math and science instruction and curriculum into clear, compelling prose.
Supported by over a dozen private foundations, EdSource Today has emerged as a prominent multi-media content provider in the nonprofit journalism sector, and is viewed as a daily “must read” by a wide range of audiences.
The successful candidate is a creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats. Qualifications sought include:
- Outstanding writing skills, with substantial experience in daily journalism.
- Eagerness to work as part of a growing team in a creative nonprofit journalism environment to build a unique service focused exclusively on education.
- Demonstrated track record using social media.
- Background in education reporting and children’s issues preferable but not required.
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as working as part of a team.
- Multimedia skills, including data visualization skills, and data analysis and computer-assisted reporting skills are a plus.
- Ability to deliver high quality, well written, and accurate copy on deadline.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including news, enterprise, analysis and investigative stories for EdSource Today and for wider distribution to other news outlets;
- Participate in reporting projects encompassing the entire EdSource Today team;
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience.
A competitive salary will be paid commensurate with experience. In addition to meaningful and challenging work, EdSource offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package including a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and 11 paid holidays a year.
EdSource Today is the journalism arm of EdSource, a 38-year-old nonprofit, non-partisan education and research organization whose mission is to inform policymakers and the public on key education challenges. Over many decades, EdSource has developed a statewide reputation for providing impartial and objective information and reporting presented in powerful and compelling ways. EdSource is headed by veteran journalist Louis Freedberg.
Please submit a cover letter indicating which position you are applying for, a resume, contact information for three references, and four clips or other examples of your work to email@example.com. Please write Education Reporter in the subject line. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.