Jobs Opportunities at EdSource
EdSource is a highly respected nonprofit organization founded in 1977 focused on providing in depth reports, surveys and daily news coverage of key education challenges facing public education in California and the nation. The organization has built a strong readership among a broad range of influential education stakeholders, including state and local education administrators, legislators, policy and advocacy groups, teachers, parent organizations, philanthropic foundations and the news media. EdSource Today, its journalism and communications arm, comprises the largest education reporting team in California.
Underwritten primarily by philanthropic foundations, EdSource continues to break new ground in how it brings the latest information on public education to Californians. To continue its commitment to innovation and excellence, EdSource is seeking a highly skilled deputy director to oversee its daily operations, including management of innovative projects on the delivery of in-depth information on significant issues in the public education field.
The search for the deputy director position is being handled by the recruiting firm Trilogy Search. Reporting to the Executive Director, the deputy director will assume a key management role in building and strengthening EdSource’s efforts to contribute to a more effective public education system.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Organizational Management
- Manage administrative and operational functions of the organization including human resources (including hiring processes, staff benefits, and personnel policies), facilities operations, and budget development and monitoring. Assist the Executive Director with fundraising as needed.
- Special Projects Coordination
- Oversee the design and production of special reporting projects and initiatives, including in- depth briefings/reports on key education issues such as changes in school finance policies, implementation of Common Core standards, student testing, state accountability systems and teacher certification policies. The deputy director will establish clear project management plans and timelines. The production process typically includes establishing project goals, content focus, content development process, project coordinator oversight, online packaging and information release and distribution to EdSource target audiences.
- Digital Communications Management
- Working with the digital communications manager, ensure that the EdSource website is functioning properly, trouble shoot problems and sign off on any proposed changes to the site.
- Strategic Planning Leadership
- Under the guidance of the executive director, oversee the development of an annual strategic plan to identify priorities that will continue to enhance the organization’s effectiveness in providing innovative, reliable and high quality information to readers. Actively hold the big picture of the organization and monitor the progress in implementation of the strategic plan.
- Senior Management Team Member
- Participate as a member of the organization’s senior management team along with the executive director, senior editor and editor-at-large.
- Financial Management
- Participate in the development of the organization’s annual budget, manage the budget, and monitor monthly financial statements with the executive director
- Communications Leadership
- Maintain clear and effective communications systems that support staff cohesion and alignment around projects and organizational priorities.
- External Partnerships
- Assist in building strategic partnerships with organizations that can enhance EdSource’s impact in the public education sector, including other new organizations, policy and advocacy groups, research institutions and philanthropic foundations. Represent the organization in lieu of the Executive Director as needed.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
- A minimum of six to eight years senior management experience in education policy, media, communications or related fields.
- Knowledge of major trends in education on state and national level, with ability to communicate these trends in clear, jargon-free terms for a range of audiences.
- Excellent writing skills and judgment in reviewing written products and content.
- Solid understanding of digital communications and producing and packaging online information
- Excellent leadership skills and experience supervising staff.
- Highly organized with excellent project management skills.
- Energetic strategic thinker who can bring creativity to work products and foster a creative and collaborative work environment for staff.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills and ability to work positively with individuals and as part of a team.
- Ability to assess problems and identify practical solutions.
- Demonstrated track record in building external partnerships.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience with an excellent benefits package.
This position is located in Oakland, California.
For more information contact:
Charles Pappalardo, Managing Director, Trilogy Search